This page provides you with much useful information about our many activities, and we hope it will be of interest to prospective new members and to provide useful updates for our current members.
AIMS OF THE SOCIETY
The aim of the Society shall be to promote good horticultural practices among its members by :-
● Holding regular meetings for lectures, discussions and demonstrations
● Holding horticultural shows and competitions (members only)
● Arranging an annual outing to a well known garden or place of interest.
● Provision of facilities for sale of seeds, fertilisers and other goods to Members at favourable prices (it is regretted that it is no longer financially viable for the Society to offer fertilisers for sale to its members).
All evening meetings are held at 7.30pm in the West Room of the Greenwich Suite at Avonway Community Centre at 36 Shaftesbury Street, Fordingbridge SP6 1JF
● Speakers/demonstration – selected to appeal to as wide an audience as possible on all subjects pertaining to horticulture.
● Plant Table – stocked by members using their surplus plants (maybe as a result of splitting plants in their garden or just having an excess). Profits help generate revenue for the club. The general rule is that members donating plants should remove any unsold at the end of the evening.
● Monthly Table Shows – the subject(s) for each month is listed in the Membership Card Programme. This is a fun activity for members with no hard and fast rules – for example there is no mandatory size of vase to be used, except that the us of ‘bikini’ vases is not permitted. Members may choose whether or not to embellish flower stems with foliage. Points are awarded for 1st 2nd 3rd. plus one point for entering. A trophy is awarded at the end of the year. Garden vouchers valued at £3, £2 and £1 are awarded each month for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place exhibits.
● Monthly Raffle – Prizes for this are supplied by the Society, although members sometimes contribute unwanted gifts etc. The aim is to provide a minimum of three prizes to make the draw attractive and promote the sale of tickets.
● Magazines – a selection of back issues of the RHS magazine-‘The Garden’ (plus others) are available each month for members to borrow and return.
● Teas/refreshments – Coordinated by Society members , volunteers organise tea and coffee at every meeting. Others able to assist are always welcome, with a rota system being used to help spread the load.
Usually comprising of a summer plant sale, bedding plants and spring bulbs. These take place at selected monthly meetings. Plants and Bulbs are also purchased wholesale, and sold on two Saturday mornings at Fordingbridge car park. Timings are announced via the monthly meetings and newsletters. Members sometimes contribute plants surplus to their own requirements but the committee has to be very selective with regards to quality.
SPRING SHOW in March & EVENING SHOW in June
These two Shows are held for Members only to demonstrate their skills in growing and and showing and are held as part of the monthly meeting.
SEEDS AND SEED POTATOES
A great way to buy your seeds and potatoes obtained from Dobies, a very old and well established company, at very good discounts. The discount is shared between the Society and Members – so everyone is a winner! As this discount is currently 35% it is well worth having; catalogues are available in October for the following year. Orders (with payment) are sent direct to Dobies and goods are delivered to members direct, either by post or specialist carrier.
SUBSCRIPTIONS & NEWSLETTERS
The annual subscription rate (currently £10.00 set at the AGM in 2019) and applies from 1st January. Subscriptions are either collected at the first meeting of the year, or can be posted direct to the Treasurer. A newsletter will normally remind members of the current rate, and the date of the first meeting of the year. Additional newsletters are sent out as required, usually in January, March, June, September and November.